Baby and Toddler Sleep Essentials!
Hello! Thank you so much for visiting and reading my first ever blog post. I made it a resolution to start blogging in 2020 so here goes! I am asked a lot to share my favorite sleep products for babies and toddlers, especially on my Q&A days. As a mom of three I know how overwhelming all of the baby gear posts can get. I am going to share a simple list with my favorite items that I myself have used and can recommend wholeheartedly!
First up - sound machines! If you have been following me for any amount of time you know I always recommend sound machines for naps and nighttime sleep. I have been through my fair share in the 11 years I have been a mom and these are my tried and true favorites:
1. Yogasleep Hushh Portable Sound Machine. If you only get one - get this one! The fact that it can be taken on the go is a huge plus in my book. It's perfect for road trips, plane rides, car rides, stroller rides, vacations, baby wearing - you get the idea! We own a couple of these and are huge fans.
2. The Baby Shusher. This is a fantastic one and there's a reason that newborn photographers almost always use this product in particular to get those precious sleeping newborn shots! The shushing noise is incredibly comforting to babies.
3. Hatch Baby Rest Sound Machine. This is such a great option for so many reasons. It has a lot more functions than the others such as a dim light option for those middle of the night diaper changes. It also has the option to work as an "ok to wake" clock as your child gets older. The best part of all is you can adjust the sound machine right from your phone!
4. Dohm Classic Sound Machine. This is an old school original and a favorite of ours - you really can't go wrong with this one.
5. Douni Sleep Sound Machine. This is the sound machine we are currently using in our toddler's room and we love it! It has 24 soothing sounds, a timer option and memory function. It's small and lightweight enough to be portable too which I love!
Next up - blackout curtains, shades and blinds! You probably know by now how obsessed I am with pitch black rooms for babies and toddlers. It truly sets them up for successful sleep, can help lengthen naps and can eliminate early morning wake ups! I recommend my clients use blackout curtains AND blackout shades in order to get the room pitch black. If you are in your baby or toddler's room in the middle of the day with the door shut, you shouldn't be able to see your hand if you put it in front of your face. If you can, chances are the room isn't dark enough! Here are some of my favorite room darkening items:
1. Nicetown 100% Blackout Window Panels. With plenty of colors and lengths to choose from, these are marketed as blackout, noise reducing and soundproof. For some windows/bedrooms these alone may be sufficient however I am almost always a fan of also using a blackout shade in addition to curtains!
2. Original Blackout Pleated Paper Shade. I use these in my kids bedrooms in addition to curtains to ensure they are pitch black. I love how easy they are to install - trim at home for the perfect fit inside or outside your window frame, then install in seconds without a drill, screws, or brackets - no tools needed. I also have some clients that told me they bring these on vacation with them. Highly recommend!
3. AmazonBasics Portable Baby Travel Window Blackout Blind Shades with Suction Cups. We have a set of these they are perfect for traveling or even just for day trips when your little one will be sleeping in a different location like a friend's or their grandparents. To me these are a must have item for anyone on the go.
3. Snoozeshade Pack N Play Crib Canopy and Tent. I really can't say enough good things about this item. It allows baby to sleep wherever you're at, is compact for travel and is compatible with all major pack n play brands. This is especially great for naps and nights when you are sharing a room with your baby - you can use this and still have the lights on!
Sleep sacks and swaddles! I am a big fan of both. They act as positive sleep associations and can help prolong sleep as well. I am not kidding when I tell you that I ordered every swaddle on the market when I went through 4 months of colic with my second born. I was desperate for something that would help him sleep so I have a lot of experience on this topic! Some babies will do really well with almost any swaddle while others it may take some trial and error to find what works best for them. I love ordering through Amazon since there's almost always a return option in case it doesn't work. Here's my favorites:
1. Happiest Baby Sleepea Swaddle
2. The Ollie Swaddle
3. The Woombie
4. Love to Dream Swaddle (best for babies who love their hands up when they sleep)
5. SwaddleMe Pod (my third loved these!)
6. Nested Bean Zen Swaddle
7. Anna and Eve Baby Swaddle Strap - the only swaddle that worked for my colicky baby!
8. Magic Merlin Sleepsuit. This is my favorite swaddle transition product!
9. Burt's Bees Baby Sleep Sack
10. Nested Bean Zen Sack
11. KYTE Baby Sleep Sack
12. HALO Sleep Sack
13. Woolino Sleeping Bag
I hope this list helps you when it comes to narrowing down the ideal products for your baby or toddler's sleep! There's so many items on the market, it can be hard to know which work best. As a mom of 3, I always appreciate getting input from other moms who have formed their opinions based on real life experience!
If you are struggling with your child's sleep and would like to set up a free 15 minute call to discuss your current sleep challenges and to determine which package would be the best fit for your family, please click the "Request Consultation" link and I will get you set up so we can discuss your goals!
Please note: The Slumber Studio, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. All opinions are my own.